Monday, August 22, 2011

Moving Day

Elder Boy had enrolled at Front Range Community College in Fort Collins, Colorado. His girlfriend would be attending nearby Colorado State. We had spent many nights trying to convince him it would be better to attend a school closer to home, at least financially, but he wouldn’t hear of it. Needless to say, he had been looking forward to this day for a long time. He was finally going to get out from under “oppressive rule” and be able to do things his way. Little did he understand the responsibilities that awaited him with his own apartment, his own bills, work, school, car maintenance, etc.

We left in 3 vehicles, Elder Boy in the loaded down Jeep (a gift from his grandpa so he could get around) and Will and I caravaning in the other 2 cars. We had all his worldly possessions as well as a few bags of groceries. I couldn’t help but think that when I first moved off to college, my stuff all fit in the back of a van. When I moved later to Florida, everything fit in the back of a small pick-up truck.

We drove through previously unexplored (by us) territory up I-25 to Fort Collins. It seemed to be the only direct route into northern Colorado and unfortunately, because of that, was plagued by tons of traffic. We found ourselves trapped in 8 miles of bumper to bumper traffic due to rubbernecking at a motorcycle accident on the other side of the highway. What should have been an easy hour and a half trip took closer to 2 ½ hours.

Elder Boy’s new apartment was in a nice complex but it was on the third floor. While lugging the piles of assorted things up all those flights of stairs, we decided it was a good thing he didn't have a lot of furniture. Thankfully, there was a lot of help from his roommate’s family as well.

After getting him (somewhat) settled in and (somewhat) unpacked, we said our goodbyes and left him in independent bliss. We had a long trip back and the “Pickles” were starting to announce their hunger.

We had noticed on the way up to Fort Collins a couple of Cracker Barrel restaurants along the way and since it had been over a year since we had been able to enjoy the sawmill gravy and hashbrown casserole of Cracker Barrel (not to mention browsing the store), we decided to stop there for lunch.

It was just as tasty as ever! The “Pickles” got to play a game of checkers on the front porch and we even found glass bottles of Cheerwine in the Country Store.

Once back at home, things returned to normal. Having Elder Boy away at school didn't seem to make much difference. He had always spent his time out with his girlfriend so we never saw much of him before anyway.  However, we noticed we didn't have to monitor the level of Diet Coke anymore. He wasn't around to drink it all.

DISCLOSURE:This post may contain affiliate links. I earn from qualified purchases. Thank you for supporting Little House In Colorado.

No comments: