These Mushroom Cheeseburger Subs are fast, easy and tasty. They fill tummies and still keep the kitchen from heating up too much.
Mushroom Cheeseburger Subs
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 TBS brown sugar
- 1 TBS tomato paste
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced or pressed through a garlic press (approximately 1 TBS)
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 Medium Onion, sliced - in halves, not rings.
- 1 small can button mushrooms (or sliced fresh button mushrooms)
- Cheese of your choice - about 4 - 6 ounces, grated. I usually use Monterey Jack or Sharp Cheddar.
- 4 Sub Rolls - split but not cut all the way through. Toasted if desired.
- Sandwich toppings - mayo, mustard, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, etc.
- Combine all sauce ingredients and mix well.
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Brown ground beef. Drain off any grease.
- Add onion slices and cook until clear.
- Add mushrooms and cook until heated through.
- Add sauce to the ground beef mixture.
- Turn down heat.
- Divide beef mixture into four sections in the skillet. Place 1/4 of the grated cheese on top of each section. Place lid on skillet and keep covered until the cheese is just melted.
- Serve one section of beef and cheese mixture on each sub roll. Top as desired.
Serve with choice of sides. Here, we opted for Homemade Potato Chips with bleu cheese dressing for dipping. Enjoy!