Several years ago, Mr. LH stumbled across a KFC copycat recipe for cole slaw that he started making. It was delicious! The recipe below is an evolved version of that original. It has changed ever so slightly over the years as we tried to simplify it and tweak it more to our liking.
This cole slaw is perfect on top of burgers and hot dogs but is also just as good as a side dish. We have made it in a food processor but find the texture of hand chopping the cabbage to be far superior in the finished recipe.
So, just in time for grilling season, here's a great cole slaw recipe to use this summer!
Homemade Cole Slaw
- 6-8 cups shredded or coarse chopped green cabbage (about half to a whole head of cabbage)
- 1/4 diced carrots (you can also grate about half a carrot to save some time)
- 2 Tbs. minced yellow onion
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 1/2 Tbs. lemon juice (instead of using lemon juice and pepper, you can sub 2 tsp of lemon pepper seasoning)
- 1/2 cup milk or buttermilk (both work here)
- 1/2 cup mayo or plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 Tbs. white vinegar
In large bowl, combine cabbage, carrots and onion.
In large 4 cup measuring cup (or a small mixing bowl), combine the remaining ingredients. Whisk together well. Pour over cabbage mixture. Toss to combine. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.