I used to work for a small mom and pop restaurant in North Carolina that served up the absolute best food! The owner sold the business to someone else and I stuck around for a bit after that but soon moved on.
The restaurant isn't in business anymore but the memories of the food live on. One of my favorites was the Tuesday Special...the Marinated Ribeye Steak Sub. I would order this for lunch every. single. week. It was thinly sliced ribeye, marinated in a heavenly blend of secret ingredients, then grilled and served on a soft roll with melted cheese and your choice of the usual burger-type toppings.
I've attempted to make my own version of the Tuesday Special and while it isn't quite the same, my version comes close enough that I don't miss the original so much.
Marinated Steak Subs
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 TBS brown sugar
- 1 TBS tomato paste
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced or pressed through a garlic press (approximately 1 TBS)
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 lb Beef Steak, cut into thin strips - this can be ribeye, flank steak, beef for stir fry....I usually just pick up what's on sale. Sometimes it's just under a pound. Sometimes just over. But we don't mind leftovers in this house.
- 1 Medium Onion, sliced - in halves, not rings.
- Cheese of your choice - about 4 - 6 ounces, grated. I usually use Monterey Jack or Mozzarella. Cheddar and Provolone would work well, too.
- 4 Sub Rolls - split but not cut all the way through. Toasted if desired.
- Sandwich toppings - mayo, mustard, lettuce, tomatoes, etc.
- Combine all marinade ingredients and mix well. Place beef strips into a small mixing bowl. Pour marinade over beef strips and stir lightly to coat. Cover with saran wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Pour beef strips and marinade into the skillet. Brown beef.
- Add onion slices and cook until clear.
- Divide beef and onion mixture into four sections in the skillet. Place 1/4 of the grated cheese on top of each section. Place lid on skillet and keep covered until the cheese is just melted.
- Serve one section of beef and cheese mixture on each sub roll. Top as desired.
Serve with choice of sides. Here, we opted for fresh fruit and Homemade Potato Chips. Enjoy!