I have a "thing" about plant markers. I love them - from the simplest of simple markers to the fancy ones that cost more than the plants they label. With spring coming up, my thoughts have turned to gardening and while I don't have much space to garden (I'm pretty limited right now to containers), my gaze always falls on plant markers. I "pinned" several versions of DIY plant markers before I found a jeweled version from In My Own Style.
I don't know what it is about them that made me want to make them before any of the others, but I did. I think they just looked more durable than the carved twig plant markers and I didn't have the extra spoons (or the metal stamps) for the stamped spoon plant markers. I only needed a few wire hangers, some can lids, beads and jump rings. Just about everything I needed could be found around the house and/or recycled...except spray paint.
I started this project (along with many many others) during the big snowstorm at the beginning of February. I dug around in the basement for my beads and wire and just started putting things together. I couldn't find my jump rings or the needle nose pliers so I just went with what I had - Mr. LH's wire tools out in the chilly garage.
Of course, lots of beads all over the counter caught The Girl's attention so she helped me awhile. We just put beads together any ol' way we wanted to.
But soon after she started digging around in my bead stuff, she spotted ear hooks and asked if she could make some earrings. Not bad for her first try! Actually, really good...
Then the project came to a halt. I only had one can lid available so I needed to collect more lids. I also needed to get some spray paint for the stakes and can lids before I could "officially" finish the project. These were metal so I wanted to cover them in Rustoleum paint just in case.
A few days later, I had collected an assortment of can lids. I have a can opener that opens cans from the side so the lids don't have any sharp edges. I would prefer the lids that come from frozen juice cans because thy don't have all the ridges in them, but we just don't buy frozen concentrated juice.
I also decided to go ahead and form the wire stakes at this point.
This was definitely the part I disliked the most...trying to cut the wire hangers and form them so they had a straight base and a hook at the top. I didn't have the type of wire hangers shown in the tutorial and since I only have ones from the dry cleaners (I really despise wire hangers), I had to use the ones on hand. I managed to get 12 stakes from my six hangers.
When I was finally able to get out of the house and buy spray paint, I took everything outside (while there was still snow on the ground) and started spraying. I used the hammered paint for these. If I make more, I think I'll choose a different paint - maybe just a glossy silver.
Then it was just a matter of punching holes in the can lids, attaching the beads and labeling with plant names.
Yes, they look like recycled material, but not bad for something that only cost me a can of spray paint and a little bit of time. And the beads add some color to my potted plants right now while everything awaits the coming of Spring. There is just a smidgen of new growth showing on the Columbine and Clematis - not bad considering they spent all winter in the garage.